Friday, September 19, 2014

Sermon: Holy Cross Day "Live! Live Your Life!"


In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

Good morning everyone!  It is so very good to be back home!   

As you know, last week, I was on military duty at my unit, where I serve as the Wing Chaplain. 

And like so many times when I go on duty, there is usually “the crisis of the day”. Ministry in the military seems to have a much higher number of crises and life and death situations, than ministry here in civilian life at a parish.  Although, yes here at the parish, we do have our “situations”……don’t we?

We live our lives, day to day, week to week, year to year… and especially when all is good and life is going well, many times not fully aware of how life can be changed in an instant. 

And so today, I want to talk with you about life and death. 

I would like to share with you all what happened the week before I went on military duty, while I was still on vacation….

On the Thursday before Labor Day weekend, I was called by the CA State Chaplain.  I am sure you all heard about the tragedy up near Kingman where the 9 year old girl accidently shot her instructor at the range as she was getting a lesson with an automatic weapon.  Well, the young man who was killed was a CA Guardsman.  The CA State Chaplain wanted to know if I would go up there to minister to the family.  

(Big sigh)  I explained to him I was on vacation.  But my heart went out to the family and all involved in this terrible tragedy.  So, I sighed & said, yes, I will go. 

And after a flurry of emails, phone calls, & texts that took up most of that afternoon, the family said they appreciated that the chaplain was available for them, but with all the media attention, they just wanted to have a private weekend with their family.

Very understandable.  And so, I keep them all in prayer. 

Life… and death.

And you may be wondering what this has to do with today’s scripture readings, or the fact that today is Holy Cross Day.  But it actually has everything to do with it, for the cross is a symbol with many meanings, and because it's a symbol, it can mean different things to each of us. 

And so I ask you, what does “the Cross” mean to you?

One of the great things about the Anglican / Episcopal tradition is that we have feast days and saint days in our liturgical calendar.  It’s not difficult to understand why we commemorate certain people, such as the saints for their extraordinary lives & ministries, but a day for commemorating the Cross?  What’s this about?

Now, we are used to seeing crosses everywhere….and all different types of crosses.  Just look at how many there are right here in our sanctuary!

But to people of the first century, the cross was a symbol of horror,  death and execution.   If you were among the peoples conquered by Rome, and you offended against Rome’s power and authority, you could be stripped, flogged, and nailed to a tree or a cross until you were dead. That’s what the cross meant.

It is no wonder that the first symbol for early Christians was the fish!

So, how did the Cross, a symbol that meant death, become THE symbol of Christianity?

The cross began to come into use as a symbol, or seal in the second century, where marking of the cross on the forehead and on the chest was regarded as a talisman against the powers of evil. 

So the making sign of the cross gesture was the beginning…

And then in the 4th century, Helena, the mother of the Roman Emperor Constantine went on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.  According to legend, she found the place where Christ was crucified.  And on this site, Helena and Constantine built the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.  A portion of the original cross was placed in this church, and many have made pilgrimages there over the years.

Have any of you ever been there?    The church is huge, with many sections, rooms, levels, and so forth.  It burned down a few times over the centuries, and then was rebuilt.  You can see many of the stone walls blackened with smoke…   When I was there, I saw the spot where Jesus was crucified, and many people were going up to the cross, on their knees, praying… some kissing it.

And thus began the symbol of the cross for Christianity.

It is an interesting thought, for the Cross was an instrument of death.  Yes suffering & death is a part, a big part of the story and symbolism of the cross.  But there is more to the story…and the story doesn’t end there.  For the Cross is really about life!

The central purpose of the church is to lift up the cross. To let the light of Christ's life, death and resurrection shine forth in the world. 

This light shines as we live lives of love and humble service.

[Pause]
 
Last week, on military duty, a unit member came to “talk with the chaplain”.  He was having an ethical dilemma about life and death.  A loved one in his family had his living will & advanced directives written up.  His wishes were that if he had become incapacitated were "DNR", do not resuscitate.  In other words, if he had to be kept alive on a machine, he wanted the machine turned off, and to be allowed to die peacefully.  For he felt that being kept alive on a machine, is really not living.

We explored the ethical dilemmas we all now face with modern medical technology, life support, being kept alive on a machine, what is a good death, and so forth.

How many of you have your advanced directives and or a living will set up?  Have you talked about these matters with your family?

I ask you to contemplate, what is a good death?  I know, it is not an easy thing to think about…the death of our loved ones, or…our own death.  That someday, yes, our time will come. 

It is said that we are a “death denying” society.  Do you agree with this?  Yes, death, especially our future deaths is difficult to face and talk about.  But it is oh so very important to do this!

Later in the week, another unit member, a senior officer came to “talk with the chaplain”.  He was facing two difficult major life transitions.

He wondered and worried what he would do for the next 30 or so years of his life.  I listened to him. ‘What about this?  What about that?’ he worried. Which in turn caused him more distress!

I shared with him a bit of my story of going thru life threatening illness a couple of years ago.    I know the terror, and the fear, and the suffering.  And that altho I would never have chosen to go thru that, there were gifts.  For now, I try to really live my life.  And I do mean, really LIVE!    For now I know just how precious life really is, and the time we have here, is limited and very precious.  

Yes, of course it is easy for me to go down the road of letting worry & fear take over. ‘What if “it” comes back?  What if I get sick again?’  

But, as I told him, I try not to focus on that.  For now is all I, (we) have!  And if I focus on all the what if’s, it will ruin my day.  And I want to enjoy my day, and LIVE my life.  And enjoy my life....while I still have it. 

And so I say to you all, “Live your life!      LIVE!   

TRULY LIVE and do the things you enjoy & really want to do.   Because someday, there will come a time when we won’t be able to …anymore.    

On this day dedicated to the Holy Cross, let us lift up the cross before others by loving one another, as Christ loved us…

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.” 
Amen.

[sermon given by The Rev. Laura Adelia on Sept 14, 2014]

No comments:

Post a Comment